Here’s my fantasy premier league imaginary wildcard team for GW5. That is the team I would pick if I was using my wildcard today. Its not just for GW5, its for the future gameweeks as well
The idea with the bonus emphasis on goals and forwards plus the defence and strikers performing is to change to 4-3-3 or even in extremes 5-2-3 and you will see that I have a fairly full defence and 3 cheap midfielders to rotate plus 3 elite strikers . See also difficult decisions at the bottom for some of the dilemmas
- Mignolet (£5.7m) BUY
- Minutes per point: 11.25 Team clean sheets: 3 fixture ease rank: 3
3 clean sheets from 4 games and and by 8 points the highest scoring GK. Agger and Enrique are more expensive. Wisdom is short term and the other CB position is yet to be nailed down so Mignolet continues to be good cover for the Liverpool defence
- A Cole (£6.5m)
- Minutes per point: 16.9 mins . Team clean sheets: 2 Rotation risk: medium fixture ease ranking: 12 Bonus points to date 4
Only 2 clean sheets and a bit of a defensive disaster in the Champions League yesterday but underlying stats have been good and really juicy home fixture next to Fulham. Cole is the less rotatable Chelsea defender with only Bertrand as cover who appears completely out of favour. Ivanovic may have the best attacking potential of the Chelsea defenders but potentially does have cover in Azpilicueta. With 4 bonus points Cole seems to be better suited to the new bonus system than Ivanovic with 2 which came when he scored.
- Collins (£4.6m)
- Minutes per point: 18 mins . Team clean sheets: 3 Rotation risk: medium. fixture ease ranking: 15 Bonus points to date 1
Home to Everton and the start of more difficult fixtures especially if Lukaku lines up. However you cant argue with their defensive resolve especially at home. The bonus system really doesn’t like him though with only 1 bonus point from 3 clean sheet. West Ham are top 3rd of teams in the underlying stats
- Dawson (£5.1m)
- Minutes per point: 17.1 . Team clean sheets: 3 Rotation risk: medium. fixture ease ranking: 8th Bonus points to date 1
Not really liked by the bonus point system but you cant deny his value for 3 clean sheets out of 4. We will soon see if new CB Chiriches takes his place. Personally I’m banking on him holding his place over the 23 year old Romanian who has yet to play club football outside his country.
- I’ve gone for Distin over Coleman due to value and due to the fact that he seems to be liked more by the bonus people getting 5 bonus points in his last 2 games. Has some gametime risk now that Alcaraz is getting match fit but I cant see Martinez changing after such a strong defensive start
- Minutes per point: 41.2 mins . Team clean sheets: 1 Rotation risk: Low. fixture ease ranking: 1st Bonus points to date 0
I’m still keeping the faith in the Arsenal defence despite the only 1 clean sheet so far. Underlying stats could also be better but if there’s ever a chance to get a clean sheet Stoke at home has got to be an excellent place to start.
- Michu (£8.9m)
- Goals and assists: 1 goal 1 assist. Time per point scored: 22.5 mins . Rotation risk: low. fixture ease ranking: 4th. Consistency 2/4 50%
A game against Crystal Palace is always going to be a good time to BUY and that’s what’s facing fantasy premier league managers with Michu this week. Very good underlying stats and like last year still seems to score even when playing behind the striker. Bizarrely though his average position was higher than Bony’s. Has even started to create chances. The only negative is his price. £8.9m for a non top 4 challenging player is really expensive but you have to look at it as a short term investment for the good fixtures coming not as any long term hold. Wouldn’t buy him at the sacrifice of expense on a forward though
- Walcott (£9.5m)
- Goals and assists: 0 goals 2 assists Time per point scored: 23.9 mins . Rotation risk: low. fixture ease ranking: 1st. Consistency: 2/4 50%
Has the best underlying stats of any midfielder just couldn’t turn his chances into goals in the game against Sunderland. Still the top ranked midfielder for me and only issue is whether you want to limit your Arsenal exposure to one player and just have Giroud.
- Sturridge (£9.3m)
- Goals and assists: 4 goals 0 assists. Time per point scored: 12.4 mins . Rotation risk: low. fixture ease ranking: 3rd. Consistency 4/4 100%
Underlying stats don’t really support 100% consistency but you cant deny his finishing. Doesn’t have pens which is a bit of a disadvantage but still good fixtures make him an attractive proposition. Imminent return of Suarez needs to be monitored
- Giroud (£9.0m)
- Goals and assists least year: 4 goals 1 assists. Time per point scored last year: 9.5 mins . Rotation risk: low. fixture ease ranking: 1st. Consistency 4/4 100%
Fantastic start and now has Ozil to create even more chances for him. Still good fixtures and underlying shooting stats are only bettered by RVP. However Giroud has been creating chances unlike RVP and should also take pens in the absence of Arteta and Podolski.
- RVP (£14.0m)
- Goals and assists: 3 goals 0 assists. Time per point scored: 16.4 mins . Rotation risk: low. fixture ease ranking: 9th. Consistency 2/4 50%
Still has the faith of me thats for sure. 50% consistency is less than how he will have to perform at this price but the 2 games without returns have been Liverpool and Chelsea. Best underlying shooting stats but hasn’t really been creating chances which is the only negative. Fixtures are reasonably good after the Manchester derby. Has pen duties and Crystal Palace saw the return of freekicks
The main difficult decision I had was between Eriksen and Michu and in the end I chose Michu for fixtures and goal strength. I also wanted to put Wisdom in the team but went for Distin and I’ve got no saints defender which doesn’t seem right. A Man Utd defender vs Cole was also a tricky decision.
Thats it hope it helps your thinking
Follow us on twitter @fantasyfoot20 or facebook at www.facebook.com/fantasyfootballgeek.co.ukfantasy premier league league code: 149188-42149Telegraph fantasy football: Code 8000919 league name: fantasy football geekSky Sports fantasy football: League name: FANTASY FOOTBALL GEEK PIN 8001875Sun Dream Team: League name: fantasyfootballgeek Password: ffgeeksun League pin: 8035028
Fox Sports EPL fantasy: League name: fantasyfootballgeek League access code: (10513-1773)