Here’s an early article where 3 FFGeek Contributors show their FPL teams GW9. There’s Sergio Torija with his wildcard, Andrew Pratt and Kev in Canada
FPL teams GW9 – 3 FFGeek Contributors teams part 1
I outline my FPL strategy along with 10 other FFGeek contributors in our new EBook.
A reminder of the additional Patreon content
$2 plus Vat per calendar month
* Weekly podcasts with myself and the FFGeek Contributors
* All the articles on www.fantasyfootballgeek.co.uk advert free
$3 plus Vat per Calender month (plus the above)
* access to the FFGeek Contributor tracker team incl live transfers (52k OR in 19/20)
*access to Joseph Crilleys transfer planner and points projection tool
* access to the the Patreon Planner team runs from Joe’s planner projection tool incl live transfers (32k OR 19/20)
* Imaginary wildcard articles
*Bandwagon and Sinking Ships articles
*Slack Channel access
*access to private FPL leagues
No Commitment beyond 1 Calender month
This is part 1 of the FPL managers who contribute to the FFGeek site with good histories who show their teams each week. This will give people a feel for what other managers are doing. It’s a fairly informal thing with no obligation on anyone and these teams may change at anytime before the deadline without further notice. It won’t cover transfers in real time either. It’s just to give an idea of the trends for the week no more. The teams are shown as their “final-ish” teams so they could change. Where they have twitter accounts I have shown this and they may update them there or on our Slack Channel which is part of our subscription Patreon site but this is not guaranteed
Andrew finished with an overall rank of 313k last 8k in 18/19 and 1k in 17/18
GW8 points: 78 (FPL average 55) Total points: 506, Overall Rank: 173k, green arrow: 175k Team Value: £102.0m
Andrew has used his wildcard
Note this was written before the Salah Covid positive test
After gameweek 7’s Pulisic disaster, gameweek 8 saw his replacement Ziyech deliver. I can see Chelsea’s attack continuing to deliver and I aim to ultimately have Chilwell, Ziyech and Werner. Jorginho will need to leave in due course after he was axed from penalty duty.
United did well and there’ll be a big move for Fernandes. James Justin owners were so close to getting a far bigger return. Leeds can feel a little unfortunate to concede so many so I’m not overly troubled by owning Dallas. Captain Kane left it late. Kevin de Bruyne incredibly let Liverpool off the hook. Saiss looks out of the picture. Villa continues to look fantastic.
I had one free transfer going into this gameweek. Villa fixtures and Grealish performances look too good to not own him. However, using a single transfer to swap out Son for Grealish was not possible due to me already owning three Villa assets, which in hindsight was a mistake. I was leaning towards making no changes this week and bringing in Grealish next gameweek but the injury to Gomez pushed me to jettisoning Robertson, at least for now, as a makeweight to move McGinn to Grealish. Robertson is replaced by Cancelo, although van Aanholt was also considered.
I moved early since I can just afford these changes now. I’ll hope my team is not affected by any injuries happening over the break. These two transfers mean I’ve taken my second hit of the season.
I’ll look at the bookies goal-scoring odds and injuries closer to the deadline but I’m thinking of Salah for captain with vice on Calvert-Lewin or Kane.
My game-plan now is to keep my team reasonably template and try and stay in the peloton. I aim to maintain at least my starting 11 to be pretty consistent with the core of the veterans’ wildcard teams as we move to the half way mark, ideally without taking too many more hits. I feel I’m more or less there now. I fear Fernandes, Werner and de Bruyne. Jota is interesting. I have no interest in differentials at this time.
Good luck, all!
Transfer summary: Robertson out Cancelo in. McGinn out Grealish in
Here’s the team with transfers confirmed. (Geek note. Salah position to be confirmed will not be captain)
Kev in Canada
Kev finished 48k last season 6k in 18/19 and 195k in 17/18
GW8 points: 81 (FPL average 55) Total points: 445, Overall Rank: 1,619k, green arrow: 976k Team Value: £100.6m
Follow Kev on twitter here
Kev has yet to use any of his chips
This was written before the Salah positive Covid test although Kev has confirmed separately he will be holding him
There is a lot going through my head with regards to this week’s transfers.
The plan was to bring in KDB for Son by downgrading Trent to a 5.5M defender. So I will likely still go ahead with that.
However, there are three other scenarios in my head:
1. Everton have Fulham this week and three good fixtures in a row. Richarlison is back now too. All of this would be fantastic for James Rodriguez who I could swap Son to easily. The issue here is James looks off. He’s had the injury and he’s clearly not in the same form as he was to start the season because of it.
2. Ziyech looks fantastic and may be the type of player we will all end up having because of his price. The issue here is the Chelsea attack is very deep. Yes, he has had two multi-return weeks in a row but in any match they could come from Werner, Tammy, Pulisic, Havertz, Mount, Chillwell, James etc. Once they get a lead they may not keep playing for goals and could slow the game down. Also, Mount was also taking kicks and corners with him the last two weeks. It is hard to see him as a 8M version of KDB or Bruno while he is not as much of a talisman for their teams as them. He also does not seem to get into the box often. I still love the thought of having him though.
3. Jota starting for pool may also be something we all need to make a change to accomodate. The issue here is Bobby is still there. The second Jota doesnt start, or perhaps blanks two in a row, it will be Foden all over again. For approx 1M more you get into Grealish, Zaha, Rodriguez who put up similar upside with nailed minutes and are more of a talisman to their teams.
However; the MAIN issue with all three of those transfers is that I would then need more surgery to get KDB in, with hits, if I went for one of them. It would also mean I need to downgrade the defender even more and would also need to downgrade one of the forwards to Brewster. Perhaps I am too focused on this one week and should just keep my eyes on the Man City prize here and hope they get back to their explosive scorelines again soon.
Ultimately, I really think that planning for Man City in GW10 is the priority that needs to be jumped on so KDB it is.
The other two dilemmas I am facing now are:
1. Do I do both transfers this week or only downgrade Trent now and do KDB next week to avoid a -4?
2. There are multiple defender options. I could go cheap with fixtures for clean sheets. However this year I think I need to focus on defenders that attack more, as clean sheets are not easy to come by. My choices are PVA, Cancelo/Dias, Lamptey, Cresswell/Coufal, Targett. Don’t tell anyone but I also have one eye on Telles!
Currently PVA leads the pack because he looks extremely attacking right now. Lamptey does as well but the PVA fixtures are great for the next three weeks and Palace seem to be a great defensive team against the lower table clubs.
Bruno is the clear captain favourite this week if you own him, which I do. Vice is on Mo because he is at home (Geek note: this will change although Kev has confirmed he will be holding Salah) and the Leicester D is banged up.
Transfer summary: Alexander Arnold out – Targett in. Son out De Bruyne in to be confirmed
Here’s the team with the first transfer confirmed and the other assumed
Sergio’s last 4 seasons were 2k, 596k, 17k and 21k
GW8 points: 61 (FPL average 55) Total points: 480, Overall Rank: 551k, red arrow: 28k Team Value: £101.0m
Sergio is using his wildcard in this gameweek
A brief account of GW8, I got a decent 61 points, although in a high scoring week so it meant my first red arrow of the season.
I wasn’t planning on playing the wildcard this week, even recorded the podcast on Monday evening saying so, but soon after we got the news that Alexander Arnold might be out for a month, together with flags for Wilson and Ward-Prowse, plus few other issues in the team meant that I activated my wildcard. And I seemed to have a clear idea of how to go about it, joining a power four of Kane, De Bruyne, Fernandes and Salah, while looking for the value everywhere else. The team in the picture.
But of course, in a daily changing picture with injuries and Covid, my original wildcard idea wasn’t to last. Today we got the news that Salah has contracted the virus too. So I guess that’s back to the drawing board, since it feels wrong to keep him on a wildcard team given the circumstances.
So plenty of options, I could just make things simple and bring in Mane for Salah, but given that we can get Jota at almost half the price, it feels silly not to. Then what to do with the extra cash? Barkley to Grealish, bring in Ziyech, draft in Robertson, try to fit Vardy for a tasty run that starts in GW10… they are all options. And haven’t really put enough thought on which way to go.
At least the things that I know are:
-In goal: Martinez / 4.0
-Defence: Chilwell / Cancelo / 4.5 / Neco Williams / Robertson or Justin
-Midfield: KDB / Fernandes / Jota / Soucek / Barkley or Grealish
-Forwards: Kane / Watkins / Vardy or 1-week punt
More to come…
Good luck all!
Transfer summary: Wildcard activated
Here’s 2 draft wildcards team so far. 1 with Salah 1 without
Early thoughts on the FFGeek team