Here’s the 4th of our FPL wildcard teams GW9 articles where FFGeek contributors Kev in Canada and Ben Wooton show their draft wildcard teams. Kev finished in 6k last season and 195k in 17/18. Ben’s last 3 seasons overall rank were 61k, 26k and 31k.
FPL wildcard teams GW9 – Kev in Canada and Ben Wooton show their draft wildcard teams
Kev in Canada’s wildcard drafts
Here’s my current stats and GW8 teams points:
GW8 points: 34 (average 36) Total points 425 Gameweek rank 4,008k, Overall Rank: 1,342k, red arrow 172k, Team Value: £102.6m
☆ Why I wildcarded now:
• move money from Defenders to Forward
• Aubamayang/Vardy look key for next few months and have tricky prices to get in organically
• changing of fixtures for core teams starting now (ARS, LEI, CHE).
• cheap Defensive options have now established themselves
The only other time I was considering wildcarding was to accommodate the upcoming blank and then double of Liverpool/West Ham matches around GW18. However, after planning ahead, I felt it would be straightforward to plan around those fixtures with the use of free transfers.
Ultimately, not owning Aubameyang and Vardy the next few weeks seemed a bigger opportunity to be ahead of. I believe the time to move the Defence money forward is now. All of this seems harder to accomplish as opposed to navigating one blank week.
☆ My plan over the next two weeks:
• make sure the rapid price risers are in my squad for the time being (Mane, Tammy, Soyunco, Pope, etc.) weather I stay with them or not
• leave in any players with built up value until I lock in the final team or their value is about to drop and they are not in the plans
• monitor injuries and any player news
☆ Current thoughts on how I want to potentially shape the squad:
• Aubameyang/Vardy locked. Third striker between Tammy Abraham and Aguero
• Alexander Arnold is locked. The other four D will be freeing up funds to move forward
• have a decent bench because I am wildcarding early and may need to navigate any injuries
• have a draft if De Bruyne is deemed fit and one if De Bruyne is deemed out. Have an easy player to swap to De Bruyne in midfield in the injured template
• balance premiums in forward and midfield for easier transfers going forward
• ditch Salah but have an easy transfer to him (Aubameyang, Aguero, Sterling)
• potentially have 3 City attackers
• downgrade Ederson to unlock funds and allow 3 Man City attack. Gazzaniga at 4.4M and Roberto at 4.4M. Their fixtures perfectly pair with eachother.
☆ Current Drafts
• KDB is fit
• KDB is injured
☆ Value players I am monitoring
• Targett – 4.4M – looks very attacking for Villa but fixtures are tough for a while
• Taylor – 4.2M – lost his spot to Pieters hot start but injuries have him back in
• Rico – 4.1M – fixtures get poor soon but hes attacking and on corners
• Lascelles 4.4M – fixture turn nicely GW10
• Hudson-Odoi – 5.9M – looks good but it is a crowded position at CHE
• Saka – 4.5M – gametime is a concern when Lacazette is back sometime soon
• Connolly – 4.5M – I dont think I could leave out a third high quality forward to make room
☆ Final Thoughts
A lot can happen over an international break. I am hoping no one gets injured. I still have a lot to think about but the teams I am putting together all look good.
One thing I want to make sure I mention is that I am focused on not losing perspective on how deadly City are. Going into a wildcard after they blank can be dangerous. Imagine if you wildcarded after the Norwich match and got rid of them? You would have missed 8 goals the next week..
I will update everyone before my finalised wildcard. Have a relaxing break!
Ben Wooton’s Wildcard draft
Ok so I had a few injuries and doubts running into the international break so i have decided to wildcard with team sitting at 138k.
Current team and stats
Here’s my stats and team from GW8:
GW8 points: 35 (average 36) Total points 469 Gameweek rank 3,785k, Overall Rank: 138k, red arrow 44k, Team Value: £101.6m
Wildcard team thoughts
In terms of keeper I have Pope and prefer to keep him for now, but I have also popped in Gazzinga for Button. A Spurs keeper seems value at 4.4m for a few months. Also means he gets Watford next game and that feels like a clean sheet.
Defensively I have decided to keep Robertson, Lundstram and Tomori. In come Soyuncu and Alexander Arnold for Otamendi and Digne. With a lot of people losing Liverpool assets I have decided to take both the wing backs on and will play every week. Man U and Spurs don’t look tough fixtures now.
Midfield wise I am keeping McGinn and Sterling. Seems foolish to lose the either as I have had from the start and both offer alot in their teams.
Big news is losing Salah but I felt he could drop and so decided to pop Mane in short term. Mane’s risen already and if Salah is deemed fit I might swap back. Mount comes in for De Bruyne, along with Saka for Cantwell because he’s cheap attacking option in a better team.
Up top I have kept Abraham. I have given Pukki the boot along with Greenwood. For now I have Jimenez as a bit of a punt, he’s there alongside Connolly as a cheap option for bench. Feel this could well change
As things stand I have 4mil in the bank. If this gets spent it will be to upgrade my forward (s)
Current draft wildcard team
Otamendi out Alexander Arnold in
Digne out Soyuncu in
Cantwell out Saka in
Salah out Mane in
Pukki out Jimenez in
Button out Gazzaniga in
De Bruyne out Mount in
Greenwood out Connolly in
Staying put: Pope, Robertson, Lundstram, McGinn, Sterling, Abraham and Tomori
Good luck if you’re wildcarding
Geek note: If you join our Patreon site you will get access to an FPL contributor tracker team which combines the contributors individual teams each week to show their favourite players, transfers and captains. It will always be completed on a Friday/Saturday in a normal gameweek. There will also be a spreadsheet of each managers teams, transfers and captains so you can drill down further.
You also get:
Joe’s interactive transfer planner and points projection tool
FFGeek private leagues
Access to the FFGeek Slack channel for discussion with the contributors and members
$2 and $3 tiers per calendar month. No commitment beyond 1 month
FFGeek league codes:
fantasy premier league: fnqq66
Sky Sports fantasy football: fantasyfootball.skysports.com/leagues/join with PIN 8426114
Telegraph fantasy football: passcode 8693. PIN code 8000919. The telegraph have also offered a prize of £100 to the winner.
Telegraph fantasy football European Super League: League PIN: 8186902 League Passcode: 2113
Sun Dream Team:
Classic League PIN: SGDKX9Y3
H2H PIN: SGFU3CR9